Taper time is here. And that means I get a little crazier than normal. I know tapering is a necessity and my body will thank me come race day, but ACTUALLY tapering can be tough. I get in my head and stress myself out. And I know I’m not alone. Decided to share my taper thoughts incase anyone can relate.
- “Wow I haven’t run in days.” (It’s been one).
- “That was a weird pain in my foot. Oh no there it is again. Must be a stress fracture!!”
- “I haven’t been sick all year so naturally it’s about that time. Three weeks out. Lucky me.”
- “Maybe I should just sneak in an extra long run. Is 12 enough? Should I have done another 18?”
- “My monthly mileage will be lower. Should I tack on a few more today? Does it matter?”
- “I’m so hungry.” (Ate one hour ago).
- “Can I even run fast? Did I do enough speed work? Why did I dread the parking lot workouts? I’d kill to do one right now.”
- “It’s probably going to storm on race day. Or be 90 degrees. Or snow.”
- “There’s that weird pain in my foot again. Maybe the last 16 weeks of training were all for nothing!”
- “Oh look pizza!”
The reality is…I’ll be fine. I know I’ve put in the work. I just need to relax (which is easier said than done). My body is fine. I will get over this cold. I will follow my reduced mileage. I’ll deal with my crazy thoughts and try to put all my energy into focusing on a successful finish line. I’m so close. And I cannot wait for October 9th.